We are located in the heart of the city center, inside one of the most historic quarters of the city, El Carme.
In the surroundings of the apartment you can find most of the must-visit attractions: Mercat Central, Catedral, Plaza de la Reina, Plaza de la Virgen, Palacio Marqués de Dos Aguas... (click here to see all nearby attractions), also trendy bars, delicious restaurants and shops are nearby.
Despite its centric location, the apartments are very quiet, as they are located in a small pedestrian square, which has a lot of life during the day but is very silent from midnight.
Constructed by Salvador Escrig Melchor in 1840, the Plaza Redonda is one of Valencia’s most unique tourist attractions due to its peculiar design. Restored in 2012, this space has become one of the city’s most enchanting spots. Surrounded by traditional craft shops and tapas bars at street level, you can also browse the small stalls that sell lace, embroidery, fabrics and Valencian souvenirs, among other things. You can reach the square on foot via four streets that converge together to form an area which is welcoming and full of light. If you stand by the fountain in the centre, you can take in a new and beautiful view of the Late Baroque bell tower of Santa Catalina, which stands over the three stories of the round building. On the ground, there is a quote by the Valencian writer Vicente Blasco Ibáñez who mentions this place in his novel Arroz y Tartana.
La lonja de la Seda
The Lonja is an emblematic building of the city and one of the most famous civil gothic monuments in Europe. It was declared a National Historic and Artistic Monument in July1931 and was made a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in December 1996.
At the end of the 13th century, as a result of the prosperity in València at the time, the old Lonja became insufficient and it was decided to build a new Exchange. The first stone was laid in 1492.. Pere Compte, a Valencian engineer and architect, was the principal figure involved in its construction. There are three clearly defined sections and a garden or “orange patio”. The Columnario or Sala de Contratación is divided into three longitudinal and five transversal naves with eight columns that support the domed ceiling. Its height of 17.40 meters gives the columns a special sense of size and proportion.
Iglesia de San Nicolás
It is called "Sistine Chapel" of Valencia. This spectacular church is located in the heart of Valencia. Recently restaurated, this beautiful place only opened to the public recently, even though it is one of the oldest churches in Valencia. Funded over 700 years ago, it was previously a gothic temple reformed in the centuries to come to give it the amazing facade that it has today. At the end of the XVII century, its inside walls were absolutely trasnformed and decorated with stunning paintings until they were comepletely covered by an opulent barroque style, which impresses its world visitors
The Central Market of Valencia is one of the largest in Europe. This great modernist building was designed in 1914, although the Central Market was not inaugurated until 1928. It consists of a ground floor with columns and vaults with a brick base and a basement. Both floors are organised into straight alleys, crossed by two main lanes along which the 959 stalls are set. The ceramic covered partitions along with the stone, wood, and the colourful glasswork make the building an excellent example of the modernist architecture of the time.
There you can find excelent local and national fresh food.
Catedral y Plaza de la Reina
Very close the apartments there is the Plaza de la Reina where is located the cathedral and its bell tower, "El Miguelete".
The origins of the cathedral date back to the 13th century, it was built on the site of a Roman temple, which later became a mosque.. It has various architectural styles, from the Romanesque to the baroque, as can be observed on the three doors: The main door, or Puerta de los Hierros, is baroque; the Puerta de los Apóstoles is gothic and the Puerta del Palau is Romanesque. The Miguelete belfry was built in the 13th and 14th centuries and was designed by Andrés Juliá Torre; it is octagonal, 50.85m high and built in a markedly baroque style, next to the main entrance. There is a spiral stairway inside that leads to the terrace, where there are views of the city, the countryside and the sea.
Barrio del Carmen
This emblematic neighborhood is situated in the city’s old quarter, Ciutat Vella. It is the authentic historical centre of València. It was once enclosed by the Muslim wall, now represented by Serrano and Quart Towers. As visitors pass through these gates, they enter a labyrinth of narrow cobbled streets hiding myriad secrets.
Barrio del Carmen is also bohemian territory, rich in street art and home to cutting-edge museums: IVAM, the MUVIM and the Carmen Centre.
The streets are filled with life whatever the time of day. Pay a morning visit to the famous Mossen Sorell Market, which offers a wide range of gourmet produce. As the day goes on and the outdoor seating terraces fill with people, why not join them in enjoying some typical tapas and eating a great paella When night falls, the busy pubs and restaurants surrounding Plaza del Tossal are the place to be. Barrio del Carmen represents a living history of València and its people, but is also very relevant to the way of life here today.
Catedral y Plaza de la Virgen
Twenty-one centuries of history right at the heart of the city, where you'll find such historic treasures as the Plaza de la Almoina, the Palau de la Generalitat, the Basilica of the Virgin or the event which takes place each Thursday at midday, the Tribunal de las Aguas (Water Court), named a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The Virgen de los Desemparados Basilica is dedicated to the patron saint of the city and is the most important religious building in Valencia from the 17th century. It was also the first new Baroque construction of its time. Built between 1652 and 1667 by Diego Martínez Ponce de Urrana, it is the only church in the old part of the city that was built new from the foundations up, and not on an existing parish church or convent. The dome is not central but located in the part nearer to the Cathedral. The side-chapel is in the baroque style and was one of the first to be built in Spain. The side-chapel is dedicated to the adoration of an image of the Virgin and is accessed by a staircase.
Santa Catalina Tower
From the balconies of the apartment you will see Santa Catalina's church and its beautiful baroque bell tower. The beauty and ornateness of the church, contrasts with the sobriety of "El Miguelete's", the Cathedral bell tower. These two towers are, according to popular legend, husband and wife.
Santa Catalina's origins date back to the time of Catholic conquest of the city, when in a demonstration of power over the conquered Moors, king Jaime I built wonderful structures throughout the city such as this one. Santa Catalina, known as a baroque church, is really much older. Behind the baroque facade and in the interior you will find an early gothic structure.
This church has just one Gothic nave broken up into eight sections, which gives enormous width to it. It lost part of its Baroque decor during the War of Independence, such that a mixture of styles can be seen. In spite of this, however, a certain classical purism remains.
Palacio Marqués de Dos Aguas
The González Martí museum is housed in a building that dates from the last decade of the 15th century and was refurbished in 1740 by order of the Marqués de Dos Aguas. It was at this time that the magnificent alabaster entrance was constructed; the Virgin overlooks the door below which is flanked by two streams of water and vegetation that symbolise the two rivers (Dos Aguas) and their life-giving properties. The entrance is the work of José Vergara, Hipólito Rovira, Ignacio Vergara and Luis Domingo; it made the building famous for its unusual beauty.
Torres de Quart
Built by Pere Bonfill, who was inspired by the Castell Nuovo towers in Naples, the Quart Towers represent a good example of late Gothic military constructions. They were conceived as defensive gates for the city and until 1874 were known as the Torres de la Cal (The Limestone Towers), since the limestone that came into the city had to come in through these gates. The back of the towers was opened to allow a view of the inside. It was the women´s prison for some time.
Mercat de Colon
One of the most emblematic modernist buildings in the city. It was built in 1914 by Francisco de Mora y Berenguer. It is an open, circular area occupying the whole block and brings to mind the old awnings of the traditional market places. An important restoration project, working on the structure, brickwork, ceramic work and wood has returned the market to its former glory; the trencadís that decorates the original entrance is of special interest. The market is a city meeting point with its colourful, Valencian façade reminiscent of the modernist designs of Gaudí
Plaza del Ayuntamiento
It is the main square of the old city. The City Hall is made up of two connected blocks. The first block is characterised by its academic design, including baroque features on the front doors, while the second one combines more traditional and mannerist styles. The City Council has been based there since 1934, and the building also houses the municipal archives, a museum, and various offices of the administration.
The construction is modern, with lavish decoration and there is a clock tower in the centre of the building. Inside, the reception area, assembly halls and the formidable marble stairway are worth mentioning, while outside the elliptical domes decorated with glazed tiles and the great balcony covering the main part of the first floor are the most outstanding features.
Torres de Serrano
Under the supervision of Pere Balaguer, construction began in 1392. The towers were designed to be defensive structures at one of the busiest city gates. They were saved from demolition when the city walls were knocked down in 1865 and used as a prison for the nobility between 1586 and 1887. The back of the towers have been opened so that the pointed arches and the vaulted domes can now be seen from the Plaza de los Fueros. The Towers represent an excellent example of gothic architecture.
Estación del Norte
Demetrio Ribes designed this modernist construction in 1917 in line with the ‘Secesión Vienesa’ tendency. The style is homogeneous and unique. The interior and exterior decoration is a tribute to the importance of the Valencian orange trade. The façade exhibits a gothic influence in terms of its symmetry and modulation while the quality of the mosaic work on the ceilings, walls and floors, as well as the intricate wrought-iron grilles and the myriad of colourful ceramics are superb.